Facts About The Museum Of London
The Museum of London Act, setting out the governance of the merged collection, was passed in the following year. In 2003, for example, a specially-commissioned report recommended that an Iron Age chariot from Spitalfields in the collection be returned to pre-Roman Britain. The museum is primarily based in the former London Museum in the City of London and includes galleries dedicated to history, culture, and natural history. At an estimated £5 million, this makes it one of the most expensive collections in British history.
The museum's curators include Dr Christopher Woodward who is also the acting chief executive, This Week In London (thisismargate.co.uk). The Museum of London Act, which came into force on 1 November 1967, united the collections of the Corporation of London's Guildhall Museum and that of the municipally-funded London Museum in South Kensington. The Act also incorporated the City Collections and other smaller collections elsewhere in the city which had come from Middlesex County Hall when it was destroyed by fire in 1968.
As the Museum of London was initially operated by City of London Corporation, it therefore focused on the history of London. In 1952, the contents of the London Museum were transferred to the new facility by the Victoria Embankment. Between 1975 and 2013, the museum's Barbican site was a heavily modified former Metropolitan Police matron's quarters. The museum at first used both locations until later when it abandoned Kensington Palace for the Victoria Embankment Building.
The latter location housed not only the main museum collections but also a new conservation and archives facility. A slight reorganisation in 1965, abolished the municipal boroughs and established London boroughs that combined both the urban and suburban areas. The creation of Greater London also led to the establishment of the Inner London Education Authority to provide all educational services for the 32 London boroughs. In 1986 the GLC was abolished and its functions were devolved to the London boroughs.
Stefan Malzkorn, the director of the Museum of London, said, "We plan to transfer as much as we can of the Barbican exhibits [to a new Museum site in West Smithfield. The museum's Dino Gallery will be incorporated into the Sackler Centre at the Science Museum. At this stage there are no plans to move other exhibitions from their existing sites. The Barbican Centre is promoted as "one of the world's great urban cultural centres".
The centre covers an area of some 40 acres (16 ha) and has an audience capacity of 3,600, This Week In London (thisismargate.co.uk). The nearest Underground station is Barbican and there are also a number of mainline railway stations close by. The Barbican Centre's historical and future role in the life of London is documented in the 50-minute documentary film Barbican Centre: The Rise and Fall and Rise of the City's Cultural Heart, directed by Ian Berry, commissioned by Barbican Arts Trust in 2008.
List Of Directors
The Barbican Centre houses the London Symphony Orchestra (LSO), the London Contemporary Orchestra (LCO), the City of London Sinfonia, and the Guildhall School of Music and Drama. The Barbican Centre was built on the site of an old theatre, The Royal Shakespeare Theatre, in 1966 but parts of it have a history dating back 400 years. In 1728, Daniel Defoe purchased this upper-class estate to which he added buildings of his own design; he described it as "a delicate wilde place with fine groves of wheat upward".
In 1843 a new lease stipulated that the land must be used only for the creation of theatrical productions and today this is still maintained by the Barbican Estate Management Trustees and by, This Week In London (thisismargate.co.uk). In July 2013 the City of London Corporation decided not to locate the Museum’s collection in the Barbican Centre, but instead to maintain it at the Guildhall Art Gallery. This facility is located within the Guildhall buildings and remains outside the Barbican complex.
Work on transferring the museum to the Guildhall building had started in 2014 by Barber & Osgerby. The Barbican Centre (also known as the Barbican Arts Centre ) is a performing arts centre in the City of London and the largest of its kind in Europe. The Centre hosts classical and contemporary concerts, theatre performances, film screenings, art exhibitions, and other private and public events. It also houses a library, three restaurants, and a conservatory.
The plan of the original complex was a two-winged, rectangular structure surrounding a central circular courtyard intended to be a car park. The building was designed in 1966 to house the Museum of London and the Barbican Library, and is one of Britain's major cultural buildings. It is also home to the Guildhall School of Music and Drama. The Barbican Centre, London was opened in 1982 as the City of London Barbican Arts Centre. It became one of the most notable performing arts centres in England outside London and was built to host classical concerts, theatre performances, art exhibitions and other events.
It is home to the Guildhall School of Music and Drama. The Barbican Centre (or Barbican Arts Centre to give it its full name) is a performing arts centre in the City of London, and the largest of its kind in Europe. It houses two theatres, three cinemas, four art galleries, and various halls, practice and training rooms and is the conservatory of the City of London Corporation. It consists of three main elements.
Move To Smithfield
The London Museum was founded in 1884. It used to be based in Marlborough House, Pall Mall, but it moved to the Barbican site at Guildhall Yard in 1976 when the museum outgrew its home. It was one of only four national museums not to charge an entrance fee (£10 for an adult, although concessions are available). The museum was closed on 30 June 2013 so that its collections could be moved to a temporary site while the premises were redeveloped as a new home for the Orchestra, and passed into public ownership.
The Museum of London is a museum of the history of London, and in particular its archaeological treasures, This Week In London (thisismargate.co.uk). It is now a legacy organisation run by the City of London Corporation. Its collections include objects from all periods of the city's history, from prehistoric to modern times. The museum is particularly known for its collection of human remains and burial goods found below the city streets, but also features displays of art and the largest collection of antiquities in the northern hemisphere.
The Museum of London is a museum of human history and culture in London. It has two sites: City of London and Barbican. The museum is accessible from both sites on public transport; the Barbican site is also served by mainline rail and the London Underground, while its piazza is accessible from the A12 road via Exchequer Street. As of October 2018, the museum is on the move. The collection will be based in West Smithfield close to Charterhouse Square and Moorgate station.
It has been reported that, as a consequence of this move, about 10% of the collection held by the Museum at Barbican will be put into store. East Smithfield was historically the site of Smithfield cattle market, today the site is used for riding stables, most notably Hyde Park Stables often seen on television as the location for the BBC One prime time soap opera 'EastEnders'. Pushback against this decision to move the Museum from its Barbican location has been considerable: in October 2016 the New York Times published an editorial called 'Losing the British Museum'.
Museum Of London Archaeology
The Museum of London Archaeology (MOLA) is the national centre for the public presentation of archaeology. Established as part of the Museum of London in 1986, it has since April 2011 been an independent charity, regulated by the Charity Commission for England and Wales. It now has its own Board of Trustees but the Museum of London and MOLA continue to work together on projects in the Greater London area. The museum maintains a presence at [ thisismargate.co.uk '''Borough Market'''] on [ thisismargate.co.uk '''London Wall'''] at C.
The Museum of London Archaeology (MOLA) is a charitable organisation that exists to advance the public's understanding of archaeology and the related history of the City of London and Greater London. The Museum has an archaeological licence to excavate within London, and is one of five archaeological contractors actively working in the capital today. This number, coupled with MOLA's finances and staffing, makes it one of the largest archaeological services in Britain. The Museum of London Archaeology is committed to understanding the past for the benefit of the present.
We interpret history, in order to enrich and transform people’s lives. Excavating, recording and researching our city's buried past, we develop knowledge which is shared through innovative displays, events and learning programmes for everyone. The Museum of London (MoL) and Museum of London Archaeology (MOLA) are two separate organisations based in the same building. MOLA has its own reception and shop onsite, with slightly different opening hours to MoL. The museum also has a large education team, and offers school workshops for children aged 5–14 years old.
Museum of London Archaeology (MOLA) is a museum within the Museum of London in London, England. It is dedicated to the archaeology of Greater London and of the historic county of Middlesex. MOLA's headquarters are at City Road (near Moorgate on the A201), but it also has facilities within the Museum of London. It is an administrative subdivision with elected members. It is one of the oldest and largest in the world having been established in 1853.
The Museum of London was founded as the Museum of London in 15 engrav'd plates by Wenceslaus Hollar, 1666, Guildhall Library, London, to house the civic regalia, which was moved from the Tower of London after the fatal fire in 1666. At that time it also incorporated elements of the Guildhall Art Gallery collection and those of Hester Thrale (including a self-portrait by Hogarth). These collections were informally acquired as vestments for Nelson's funeral (1806) but with funds from private donors, including Sir Ashton Lever and Henry Boddington, a new building was built to accommodate them on the north side of Guildhall Yard.
The Museum's curators occasionally re-arranged works, This Week In London (thisismargate.co.uk). But the Museum of London Docklands, which opened in late 2001, has a separate board under the same chairman but with membership appointed by the Corporation of London, the London Boroughs of Newham and Tower Hamlets, the City of London, English Heritage and the Department for Culture Media and Sport. The Museum is a non-departmental public body sponsored by the Greater London Authority (GLA). The museum is run by a board of trustees, which comprises eight independent trustees, including the Chairman, Vice Chairman and Treasurer.